On Progressives: Obama vs Paul

Zack Morris

Re: On Progressives: Obama vs Paul

Post by Zack Morris »

Mr. Perfect wrote:
Parodite wrote: First off: if the subprime credit market were the only sick baby, what is the rest of the world so worried about now?
Ask them, it is not my problem.
Of course not, it would destroy your whole thesis.
As for the US it is more to do with our national debt, which has little to do with the subprime market.
The US debt has absolutely nothing to do with our economic crisis. The people who believe such things were the same people who predicted soaring bond yields, which would have happened if their model of the situation were correct. The economy is stalled due to a collapse in aggregate demand. Nobody is buying things because they don't have any money and their homes are underwater.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Zack Morris wrote: Do you even bother to read the links you post? :lol: Securitization by private banks makes it easier to distribute risk and incentivized lax lending standards. Private banks were perfectly willing to underwrite and deal in such securities. Nobody forced them to do this. A larger and far more involved intervention than the $200B bailout of Fannie and Freddie has been necessary for the banks, and that's before we even begin to assess the damage beyond US borders. It's absolutely ridiculous to lay this at the feet of one (or two) companies, let alone a single party.
Oh boy.

Let's do this the easy way.

Zack, can you tell my why only the subprime mortgage market failed, out of all the many debt markets? Can you tell me why no other debt market failed?
I don't think right wing revisionism is going to settle anything here. Nor are ridiculously over-simplified models of the financial system devised for the express purpose of implicating a single political party and absolving all private actors of any blame. You'd be hard pressed to find many bankers who engaged in the mortgage-backed security free-for-all, let alone economists, who agree with your narrow assessment.
There is no revision. The "private banking system" is a system dealing in a government created currency, a government regulated currency, a government insured currency, with multiple government regulators in a market underwritten by government agencies. And despite all that the only debt that failed was in the government created subprime mortgage market. This was a failure of government central planners and one political party, the Democrats. The above is all their idea, they have been working for it since Woodrow Wilson. Now they reap the rewards.

Everything I have written is unadulterated truth.
Censorship isn't necessary
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Zack Morris wrote: Of course not, it would destroy your whole thesis.
How is the failure of the model of regulated economy, Europe, a destruction of my thesis?

How old are you?
The US debt has absolutely nothing to do with our economic crisis. The people who believe such things were the same people who predicted soaring bond yields, which would have happened if their model of the situation were correct. The economy is stalled due to a collapse in aggregate demand. Nobody is buying things because they don't have any money and their homes are underwater.
Are you vying for Captain Obvious?
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

Mr. Perfect wrote:
Zack, can you tell my why only the subprime mortgage market failed, out of all the many debt markets? Can you tell me why no other debt market failed?
I think you need to ask yourself why the personal real estate market was so attractive: 1) there was enormous, untapped demand for homes, 2) which millions of American consumers thought they could invest in to build their wealth. This made the market particularly ripe for securitization and lax lending standards, where it would be easier to assume that an employed individual would stay employed. That's an easier assumption to make than with other types of debt (like corporate debt) -- excepting national debt perhaps -- which naturally require more scrutiny, and where tens of millions of fresh borrowers don't exist.

Next, there was a series of government-sponsored initiatives, some of them taking the form of laws signed by Reagan and Clinton, making adjustable rate mortgages possible, allowing pension and other funds to purchase mortgage-backed securities, and encouraging home ownership. The demand for these securities began to grow and the last ingredients of the cocktail were the repealing of the Glass-Steagall Act and the lowering of Fed interest rates. The timing of these was critical because it wasn't until the early 2000's that lending really got out of hand as the mortgage market became especially attractive and easy to get into.

Again, private lenders weren't forced into this market at gunpoint, and there is no excuse for them to have not properly assessed the risks. Had the money not flown into this particular debt market, sooner or later, it would have gone somewhere else, whether to another equity bubble or elsewhere, and some other spark for an economic crisis would have manifested itself. The growth in personal debt (credit card debt, for example) would have been there. I think it's all a symptom of a broader problem in the economy.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Sorry, you don't get to ask questions until you answer one or two.

Why was the subprime market the only debt market to fail? If general deregulation was to blame, all markets would be suspect, or as likely to fail as any other.

So tell me why the subprime market failed. And BTW, the RE bubble isn't even particularly relevant, the defaults are what triggered TARP, not the bubble popping. Had people been able to continue their payments even though they were underwater there would be no need for TARP.

So tell me why the subprime market failed but not any of the others.
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

Mr. Perfect wrote: Why was the subprime market the only debt market to fail? If general deregulation was to blame, all markets would be suspect, or as likely to fail as any other.
The name explains it all: subprime. Why didn't the prime debt market go bust?
A better question is why didn't that market fail in the 90's, after years of home ownership being encouraged? Why did home values skyrocket, deviating from household income trends, only in the early 2000's?
So tell me why the subprime market failed. And BTW, the RE bubble isn't even particularly relevant, the defaults are what triggered TARP, not the bubble popping. Had people been able to continue their payments even though they were underwater there would be no need for TARP.
Had the subprime real estate market not been securitized, there would have been no need for TARP. Lenders could have taken a haircut or gone out of business without affecting the entire financial sector.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

You still aren't answering the question, which is if general deregulation was at fault, why didn't the credit markets (car loans, business loans, etc) broadly also experience general failure? The failure that occurred was acute, specifically subprime. So why was that?

And your last point is not even wrong, a defaulting debt instrument is a default debt instrument. Any investor, whether a bank, mortgage company, hedge fund, traditional investment fund or anybody else holding a defaulting debt instrument is in the same boat as any of their peers. So anyone holding the debt or the insurance product on the debt, doesn't matter, the effect is the same.

But you may mean something else, which is (if my suspicions are correct) an even more untenable position.
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

Mr. Perfect wrote:You still aren't answering the question, which is if general deregulation was at fault, why didn't the credit markets (car loans, business loans, etc) broadly also experience general failure? The failure that occurred was acute, specifically subprime. So why was that?
In the early 2000's, during the Bush administration mind you, this particular market became particularly fast-growing and investment was diverted there. That was the latest bubble that banks could inflate directly by lending (and unlike cars, houses are an appreciating asset, something everyone assumed would continue for a while longer, which makes the nature of demand for real estate very different than for cars).
And your last point is not even wrong, a defaulting debt instrument is a default debt instrument. Any investor, whether a bank, mortgage company, hedge fund, traditional investment fund or anybody else holding a defaulting debt instrument is in the same boat as any of their peers. So anyone holding the debt or the insurance product on the debt, doesn't matter, the effect is the same.

But you may mean something else, which is (if my suspicions are correct) an even more untenable position.
The point is that these debts, and financial instruments deriving their value from them, should not have comprised such a large portion of bank balance sheets.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Zack Morris wrote: In the early 2000's, during the Bush administration mind you, this particular market became particularly fast-growing and investment was diverted there. That was the latest bubble that banks could inflate directly by lending (and unlike cars, houses are an appreciating asset, something everyone assumed would continue for a while longer, which makes the nature of demand for real estate very different than for cars).
Yes but why? The following may prove helpful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4A0RuXhnQA
The point is that these debts, and financial instruments deriving their value from them, should not have comprised such a large portion of bank balance sheets.
Well of course. But why did they have so much subprime. Why. And if the problem was general deregulation why then did not other debt markets fail.

NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Mr. Perfect wrote:
NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:Agreed, it is naked demagoguery. But it's because we love you, all of you- many Americans have stars in their eyes when it comes to Europe
Wow. Speak for yourself on that one brother.
I'll admit this may be more of a New England thing but most Americans I have spoken to don't seem to have any understanding of Europeans outside of a certain mental image. And it is that image that we end up defining ourselves with or against. What I'd like to see is less comparisons and if that needs more demagoguery against imaginary conceptions, so be it.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

I would have to say that part of the reason that "European" has become the kick around term that it has to some is more with the long time Democrat preening and preaching to the rest of us, rather than opposition to European people per say. The European model the Democrats have been selling to us off and on for a century has lots of problems and we really and honestly do not want to live that way. We came here from there for a reason.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Oh boy Zack and P, and here you go again with your do-gooder central planning busy bodys, I'm sure you will blame the eventual collapse on "capitalism" again.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/ ... SE20120105
The U.S. government-run mortgage finance firms Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac could play a bigger role in turning around the battered U.S. housing market, the Federal Reserve told Congress, a call that looks set to run into stiff political opposition.

The Fed, in a paper sent to lawmakers on Wednesday, outlined an array of steps that could be taken to help the housing sector, including allowing Fannie and Freddie to provide cheaper mortgages to a broader pool of homeowners.

The two companies, the biggest sources of U.S. mortgage funding, were seized by the government in 2008 when they were on the brink of collapse. They have been propped up by $169 billion in taxpayer aid since then, making them a target of many on Capitol Hill.
Aferim

Post by Aferim »

Mr. Perfect wrote:I would have to say that part of the reason that "European" has become the kick around term that it has to some is more with the long time Democrat preening and preaching to the rest of us, rather than opposition to European people per say.
Per se.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Mr. Perfect wrote:
Parodite wrote: First off: if the subprime credit market were the only sick baby, what is the rest of the world so worried about now?
Ask them, it is not my problem.

As for the US it is more to do with our national debt, which has little to do with the subprime market.
As I understand it, the non-regulations allowed banks to mix-up whatever value and trash scraped from around the world into subprime port-folios creating a real estate asset bubble of money that had nowhere else to go but to naive consumers told they'll be OK buying those mortgages that were way above their heads.. but hey... real estate grows...grows...grows!! Until etc. You know the story.
Right. So the root cause is the crap debt, ie subprime mortgages, born and bred by Democrats. Root cause bingo. Unpackaged debt is no less dangerous than packaged debt.
No. The root cause is that the financial industry did not protect itself and its customers against those political hooligans of type Fanny McMay pushing subprime crap through everybodies throat poisining the well. It seems you consider banks as mere consumers within their own industry that are not responsible to regulate it properly and keep those type of dem politicians out, set your own standards when it concerns how high people's mortgages can be, check if the financial products being produced meet standards that you yourself established.
Now you explain how this could happen with the banks knowing it was happening, a typical asset bubble that with healthy restrictions and monitoring could have been defused much earlier.
You can only regulate what you are aware of.
You already repeatedly claimed implicitly that all this bad regulation was produced by filthy outsiders and that bankers and their clients are the victim here. Maybe you are right: people in the financial industry, bankers, investment companies, all those CEOs as from Goldman Sacks, City Bank.. are powerless onlookers that shake their heads in dismay with you... how a few slick dem hooligans via Fanny Dismay ruin it for everybody. Yes, everybody.. World Wide. What could they know? They just shove around boxes with money, lending as much money to anyone as much as they want. It is after all not their business to inform people when they start borrowing above their means.

The reality being that of course if you follow the money, especially where it is made most.. those bankers and traders being quite happy making their millions. No need to change the rules.. at least not yet! But the Ponzi scheme is closing in on its end.. and the betting of the junkies on who will be the last and final sucker is on. Ah! All hard working taxpayers in the world who have kids to feed... how convenient!
/P, this is NOT an issue of deregulation/regulation. The regulators were behind it. We would have been better off if we were truly deregulated.
When I talk about regulation.. it means regulation in general, not in the least the regulations produced by a given industry itself. You know.. people who take pride in their type of business and being part of that industry. Who value honesty, quality, professionalism and craftsmanship. That usually have internal control mechanisms to fence off abuse or being abused.

I conclude from what you are saying that the financial industry has not any of such an internal mechanism of quality control and guarantee re your products, moral aspects, protecting your customers especially Jo. Your own regulations should have kept the Fanny Macmay disaster out, and weeding out some of the criminal mindsets and behaviors by some of your own people and Ponzi boys.
But then of course.. why would banks change anything as long as they make money on that growing bubble.
Because they would eventually lose money.
They won't. When their boat started making water and after they squeezed the last dollars out of even that process of going bankrupt, they made sure that privately they already cashed in their millions and invested it in real value like land, mansions.. So eventually they will never be in pain.. which is another cause of this crisis. A good banker or trader will never loose.
Bankers could have acted morally and go sit together... and promote normal smart regulation instead of stupid politics-induced disturbances.
Regulators work for politicians, you cannot separate regulators from politics, that is the fatal error in your logic. We would have been way better off with more deregulation.
The powerful people of the financial industry are quite able to influence the political regulators, if necessary bribe them (all politicians have a weak spot for that), develop their own regulatory body as a powerhouse to regulate your own industry properly. Because regulation, monitoring, controls and the rule of law you need...as every industry needs them. Of course it needs the right set of regulations and controls.. preferably produced and managed by the industry itself. But IMO not without also politics participating in the oversight and controls, ie those that represent Jo and his family. It is our money and I want to know what happens with my money when I trust it to a bank.
But you will understand I'm sure that as long the financial cowboys make their lovely millions by shoving around money and hot air, cash in their bonuses.. little action can be expected from them.
That's the thing, they are not making that money anymore.
But have their private capital and profits, bonuses...safely invested in real estate, anything other than just paper value that is now in the process of being burned up.
Aside: bubbles are a natural phenomenon, aren't they?
Depends on how you define natural. This bubble was government created. If you define government as natural then it was natural.
I'm not sure that real estate asset bubble would not have developed anyways on its own. Bubbles are self-fulfilling prophecies in the market of speculation; real estate is always a good candidate it seems to me to turn into a speculation-Ponzi bubble.
You can't entirely prevent them but you can have an architecture and regulation that prevents "too big to fail" situations to arise by separating the three financial circuits, don't allow for any and all weird new fancy product that nobody understands, i.e. keep it more simple, allowing for easier oversight, transparency etc. Like in any healthy industry in the world.
The fancy products you are so superstitiously afraid of operated without fail in every other debt market.
Maybe the damage directly caused by derivatives is overestimated. But it begs the question what products and transactions served the customer Jo best.. also representing real economic value.. or were just there as speculative gamble assets and short selling casino activity at Wallstreet. Even if the real damage is relatively small... I don't see why people should go to Las Vegas with my savings that they supposedly guard and invest in real economy. If they hadn't used it for the little dirty casino hobbies... they could have put it to use more for my own benefit. It is still stealing IMO.
The only market they failed in was the government created one.
Your claim that all toxic hot air was caused by only government officals I find idiotic. The financial industry did not regulate and organize itself properly, included protecting it against the politicians you mention.

Now somebody explained that the people of the financial industry that have the power to influence regulation.. are in fact a small handful in the top. The 1% of the 1% so to speak. That most people working in the financial industry included bankers/bank managers themselves have not one iota of power to influence internal or external regulation. You think this is true in fact? If so... who are they?
Can you please tell me why if general deregulation was at fault why there was not a general default crises across the debt market, and why it was acutely contained to the government created debt market?
Forget "deregulation", it is a decoy. The financial industry failed to regulate itself properly, did not protect itself against Fanny Dismay politicians and other external regulators like the FED, allowed Greenspan to do things he now openly regrets... ("what did we all know then..." blah bla) allowed a tested architecture where commercial banking, investment banking and insurance money operated in separated segments to be destroyed .. exposing the world to insolvable risks and we all float on One Big Bubble too big to fail.

Of course individuals and governments that can't do simple math living above their means borrowing way too much money are also to blame: it is human greed and weakness we all suffer. That is why we need regulations, law, courts, police.. prisons. There is no game that can escape it. Not even Capitalism. Especially Capitalisms needs the right set of regulations and controls to make it work. In fact only very few... but they must be upheld, monitored, checked, sometimes adapt to new realities.. very carefully. The financial top shots failed to protect theirs and our main game. Probably because the current “non-rules” served them a bit better than the majority.
Deep down I'm very superficial
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

parodite, you shouldn't have gone to all the trouble.

If the problem was "banks not regulating themselves", or whatever terminology you care to employ, then why were the failures in loans confined to one type of loan, that is subprime? Why did not loans fail in general, since in general the banks "do not regulate themselves"?
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Mr. Perfect wrote:parodite, you shouldn't have gone to all the trouble.

If the problem was "banks not regulating themselves", or whatever terminology you care to employ, then why were the failures in loans confined to one type of loan, that is subprime? Why did not loans fail in general, since in general the banks "do not regulate themselves"?
Explain what you mean with the "Why did not loans fail in general", which sounds counter factual. People have been borrowing way too much money that they can't pay back. A general loan fail I'd call that.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Parodite, no offense but I think you don't really grasp a lot of what happened in this case.

In 2008 we bailed out 9 (?) banks in America, out of thousands, because their portfolios relating to subprime mortgages were going to default to the point that they would go bankrupt and become insolvent. This was apparently viewed as a major risk to the US economy. After the fact we have people like Warren Buffet saying that maybe only 4 banks actually needed it, but that is generally changing the subject.

The subject is that car loans did not fail, student loans did not fail, business loans and lines of credit did not fail (when we say fail, we mean default) other classes of mortgages did not, fail (default), just subprime.

If your were right, that in "general" there was not enough banking regulation, then we would expect car loans, business loans, student loans and other mortgage classes to also be defaulting at a rate equivalent to the subprime market.

But that did not happen.

Do you know why?
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Mr. Perfect wrote:Parodite, no offense but I think you don't really grasp a lot of what happened in this case.

In 2008 we bailed out 9 (?) banks in America, out of thousands, because their portfolios relating to subprime mortgages were going to default to the point that they would go bankrupt and become insolvent. This was apparently viewed as a major risk to the US economy. After the fact we have people like Warren Buffet saying that maybe only 4 banks actually needed it, but that is generally changing the subject.

The subject is that car loans did not fail, student loans did not fail, business loans and lines of credit did not fail (when we say fail, we mean default) other classes of mortgages did not, fail (default), just subprime.

If your were right, that in "general" there was not enough banking regulation, then we would expect car loans, business loans, student loans and other mortgage classes to also be defaulting at a rate equivalent to the subprime market.

But that did not happen.

Do you know why?
Are you suggesting that the banks were just too stupid, and stepped on that subprime demo-train unknowingly?

Connect the dots for me... Banks make stupid, irresponsible, unprofessional decisions... and took the Fanny Dismay bite... Probably knowingly that this would lead to a massive real estate asset bubble. But as long as the bubble grows... loads of money can be made. How could those morons have been prevented taking the bite - not offering them the opportunity, or training them when to bite or not to bite perhaps?

But I understand it now... those bankers have no free will, no conscience, no morality.. It is a reflex to bite money when you hold it in front of them. :D This of course only leaves Fanny McFish and their democronies as the responsible evildoers here. Bankers just do what they are supposed to do: eat the cash.

Eating is a very simple process and reflex. Regulations only destroy the apetite.

Add an edit, to your repeated question; why subprime turned crapbad, other loans didn't? (if true) Bankers just eat money. Some turns out bad for the stomach. Bad luck.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Well I'll give you points for the attempt.

But the following is the next step in the chain.

In America we have thousands of banks. According to Warren Buffett only 4 needed bailing out.

The reality is when you have a government project the magnitude of what the Democrats were creating, somebody is going to play along. Not surprisingly banks loaded up with Harvard Democrats. When the government starts throwing around the trillions they were, some Harvard Democrats are going to go along.

You can't really stop the government distorting markets if they are serious about it. The government is too large an entity. Ours is anyway.

It was a Democrat failure of central planning, 100%, top to bottom.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Mr. Perfect wrote:Well I'll give you points for the attempt.

But the following is the next step in the chain.

In America we have thousands of banks. According to Warren Buffett only 4 needed bailing out.

The reality is when you have a government project the magnitude of what the Democrats were creating, somebody is going to play along. Not surprisingly banks loaded up with Harvard Democrats. When the government starts throwing around the trillions they were, some Harvard Democrats are going to go along.

You can't really stop the government distorting markets if they are serious about it. The government is too large an entity. Ours is anyway.

It was a Democrat failure of central planning, 100%, top to bottom.
Okay so we have Fred Dismay and a few banks that took the bite ending up with severe stomach problems. But as I understand it, many other banks, also Dutch ABN-AMRO invested in USA real estate discovering they had to write off billions from their assets, leaving some very big airy holes in their balance sheets which was not wise to make public given the importance of trust. And a lot of that over priced and soon to shrink real estate capital was circulation around the world repackaged in all kinds of boxes, port folios. Many more financial operators kwowingly participated in shoving around these toxic boxes, where the topsport became: how can I make money on toxic waste? Knowingly.

So maybe a few big sucker banks took the direct hit of the housing bubble crash, but the posion ahd already spread into the worlds financial blood stream by people with the same mentality; making money from reselling waste. Who fools whom better wins.

I think the reason so many more people and banks became "complicit in crime" was not because they intended to act criminial or wasteful (huhu)... but simply competition and survival required participating in the bubble and try survive the crash better than others. Operating on a lower risk level simply meant not being able to offer your clients same equity, profit. You'd be dead already before any bubble exploded.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Yes many banks lost money, but the "systemic risk"/massive default aspect was all subprime. Subprime is what took a botch, (which I will leave others to parse blame for, I don't particularly feel the need to straighten that out) and made it lethal.

If there were no subprime we would have no TARP, no bailouts, none of that. No need to "fundamentally transform America" and what not ala Obama.

So capitalist and socialist economies all have their ups and downs but system meltdown and extremity of this particular bubble lay at the feet of the Democrats and their policies and beliefs. That's all.
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

Mr. Perfect wrote:
Zack Morris wrote: In the early 2000's, during the Bush administration mind you, this particular market became particularly fast-growing and investment was diverted there. That was the latest bubble that banks could inflate directly by lending (and unlike cars, houses are an appreciating asset, something everyone assumed would continue for a while longer, which makes the nature of demand for real estate very different than for cars).
Yes but why? The following may prove helpful.

GSEs no doubt plaid a role in inflating the bubble but as decisive a role as alleged by the video (at 8:01)? Doubtful considering that the GSEs insured no more than 24% of subprime loans when the crisis hit. Fannie/Freddie had been in this business for a long time. I think you make some legitimate points about the dangers of central planning but the relevant pieces of legislation had been in place for decades. The asset bubble seemingly began to inflate in the late 90's and really took off in the early 2000's. Your analysis does not resolve the chicken-and-egg dilemma of what precipitated the asset bubble in the first place. Lax oversight and creative accounting at Fannie/Freddie may well have been a response to market pressures as they tried to cash in on an obvious asset bubble. And this partisan hit-piece completely ignores the role of Republican-backed legislation and regulatory actions at the time.

I think a number of factors made the subprime mortgage market particularly attractive during the late 90's and early 2000's, any of which alone may not have caused the crisis. Blaming the government is akin to blaming Al Gore for the Internet bubble. Letting private institutions off the hook is akin to freeing a murderer because he was inspired by watching someone else do it first.

No matter which way you slice it, your argument is incomplete.