Biology and Medicine

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Doc

Re: Biology and Medicine

Post by Doc »

Simple Minded wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:34 am
Colonel Sun wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 4:57 pm Nature | Animal source of the coronavirus continues to elude scientists
Computational models, cell studies and animal experiments are being used [in an attempt] to pinpoint the viral host that kicked off the pandemic.

New data..... how to model?
Alternate theory as to the viral host of Covid-19
winniethecovid.jpg
winniethecovid.jpg (153.23 KiB) Viewed 2360 times
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

Something else besides COVID..........

An extinct bird just ‘evolved itself’ back into existence
The Aldabra hasn’t existed in almost 100,000 years. Now it’s back

According to research in the Zoological Journal of Linnean Society, the re-incarnated Aldabra bird is a product of ‘iterative evolution’. That’s when old genes thought to have died out re-emerge at a different point in time.
https://www.esquireme.com/content/46133 ... -existence
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Doc

Post by Doc »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 3:54 am Something else besides COVID..........

According to research in the Zoological Journal of Linnean Society, the re-incarnated Aldabra bird is a product of ‘iterative evolution’. That’s when old genes thought to have died out re-emerge at a different point in time.
Or more likely a hidden population emerged from hiding. As I recall there was a species of swan that was thought to be extinct until a few years ago when I group of them were found.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 3:54 am Something else besides COVID..........

Hilary Clinton finds this story very inspirational....
noddy

Post by noddy »

the old species is still extinct, this new variation just looks simmilar enough to satisfy humans phenotype lumping.
ultracrepidarian
kmich

Post by kmich »

Hydroxychloroquine or chloroquine with or without a macrolide for treatment of COVID-19: a multinational registry analysis
In this large multinational real-world analysis, we did not observe any benefit of hydroxychloroquine or chloroquine (when used alone or in combination with a macrolide) on in-hospital outcomes, when initiated early after diagnosis of COVID-19. Each of the drug regimens of chloroquine or hydroxychloroquine alone or in combination with a macrolide was associated with an increased hazard for clinically significant occurrence of ventricular arrhythmias and increased risk of in-hospital death with COVID-19.
kmich

Post by kmich »

Nonpharmaceutical Interventions Implemented by US Cities During the 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic - Howard Markel, MD, PhD; Harvey B. Lipman, PhD; J. Alexander Navarro, PhD; et al, August 8, 2007
Conclusions These findings demonstrate a strong association between early, sustained, and layered application of nonpharmaceutical interventions and mitigating the consequences of the 1918-1919 influenza pandemic in the United States. In planning for future severe influenza pandemics, nonpharmaceutical interventions should be considered for inclusion as companion measures to developing effective vaccines and medications for prophylaxis and treatment...

The historical record of the 1918-1919 influenza pandemic in the United States constitutes one of the largest recorded experiences with the use of nonpharmaceutical interventions to mitigate an easily spread, high mortality and morbidity influenza virus strain (ie, a category 4-5 pandemic using the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention February 2007 Interim Pre-Pandemic Planning Guidance).16 Our study focused on this data set by assessing the nonpharmaceutical interventions implemented in 43 cities in the continental United States from September 8, 1918, through February 22, 1919, a period that encompasses all of the second pandemic wave (September-December 1918) and the first 2 months of the third wave (January-April 1919) and represents the principal time span of activation and deactivation of nonpharmaceutical interventions. The purpose was to determine whether city-to-city variation in mortality was associated with the timing, duration, and combination (or layering) of nonpharmaceutical interventions; altered population susceptibility associated with prior pandemic waves; age and sex distribution; and population size and density.
Doc

Post by Doc »

kmich wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 2:58 pm Hydroxychloroquine or chloroquine with or without a macrolide for treatment of COVID-19: a multinational registry analysis
In this large multinational real-world analysis, we did not observe any benefit of hydroxychloroquine or chloroquine (when used alone or in combination with a macrolide) on in-hospital outcomes, when initiated early after diagnosis of COVID-19. Each of the drug regimens of chloroquine or hydroxychloroquine alone or in combination with a macrolide was associated with an increased hazard for clinically significant occurrence of ventricular arrhythmias and increased risk of in-hospital death with COVID-19.
Although several multicentre randomised controlled trials are underway, there is a pressing need to provide accurate clinical guidance because the use of chloroquine or hydroxychloroquine along with macrolides is widespread, often with little regard for potential risk.
After a brief reading - problems.
1)Contrary to the lancet study claim HCL is generally safe to use, and in situations where it is not safe to use the dangers are very well known.

2) There is no indication that Azithromycin in particularly was used. Which is a unique antibiotic. Alll the study says is a "macrolide" was used without specifically mentioning if the macrolide was Azithromycin
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macrolide ... macrolides
Azithromycin - unique; does not extensively inhibit CYP3A4
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CYP3A4
Cytochrome P450 3A4 (abbreviated CYP3A4) (EC 1.14.13.97) is an important enzyme in the body, mainly found in the liver and in the intestine. It oxidizes small foreign organic molecules (xenobiotics), such as toxins or drugs, so that they can be removed from the body
3) This is still a non randomized trial Something that the suggested use of Hodroxychloroquine was HEAVILY CRITICIZED because there was no randomized trial.

4) The French just concluded a very large non randomized study that appears to show the death rate after using HCQ is less than half what it is without it.

During the Iraq war the lancet published a "pier reviewed" study claiming that the US killed one million Iraqis. Which was an outrageously false thing to claim. The only motivation I could see for the Lancet to do that was POLITICAL. Which means anything the Lancet publishes is suspect of being POLITICAL.
noddy

Post by noddy »

away from politics.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7158870/

apparently less use of aggressive ventilation and instead lying the patient on their belly (proning) has increased the survival rate.
ultracrepidarian
Doc

Post by Doc »

noddy wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 3:13 am away from politics.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7158870/

apparently less use of aggressive ventilation and instead lying the patient on their belly (proning) has increased the survival rate.
With less than 3% surviving on mechanical ventilation using less of it would certainly seem to be a good thing. Also propping patients to a semi sitting position also purportedly helps.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Has it been shown that what are calling cv is really a single virus? Seems like it could easily be a basket of different pathogens.

It also seems that the individual’s health status is a major factor. I don’t quite get this new terrain vs. disease based medical model, but it seems relevant.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Doc

Post by Doc »

Nonc Hilaire wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:30 pm Has it been shown that what are calling cv is really a single virus? Seems like it could easily be a basket of different pathogens.

It also seems that the individual’s health status is a major factor. I don’t quite get this new terrain vs. disease based medical model, but it seems relevant.
I think the biggest factor in general regardless of underlying health conditions is how much of the Virus enters the body before the immune system can react to it. Large viral loads initially are too much for even the healthy to handle. That would explain why otherwise healthy medical workers are getting sick and even dying.
noddy

Post by noddy »

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... via%3Dihub
Conclusions
This study examined arsenic concentrations in 55 rice types marketed in the UK in which we compared cultivation methods (organic or non-organically grown) and various types of rice (wild, white/polished and brown/unpolished). The total arsenic (tAs) concentrations in organic white rice were significantly lower than non-organic types, whereas the opposite was true for brown rice. However, inorganic arsenic (iAs) concentration of organically grown rice was significantly higher than non-organically produced rice. The order of accumulation of iAs in different rice types was brown > wild > white. Out of 55 rice types studied, 28 exceeded infant iAs maximum limit stipulated by the European Commission as unsuitable for the production of baby food products or direct feeding. Our study showed that health risks due to rice arsenic consumption are confined mainly to infants in the UK. We recommend that consumers could be better informed whether rice and rice products are suitable for infants and young children up to 5 years in the product description labels.
more than half the rice on the market has higher levels of Arsenic than you probably should feed kids.

yay for being a filthy barbarian who prefers his grains fermented.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:22 am https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... via%3Dihub
Conclusions
This study examined arsenic concentrations in 55 rice types marketed in the UK in which we compared cultivation methods (organic or non-organically grown) and various types of rice (wild, white/polished and brown/unpolished). The total arsenic (tAs) concentrations in organic white rice were significantly lower than non-organic types, whereas the opposite was true for brown rice. However, inorganic arsenic (iAs) concentration of organically grown rice was significantly higher than non-organically produced rice. The order of accumulation of iAs in different rice types was brown > wild > white. Out of 55 rice types studied, 28 exceeded infant iAs maximum limit stipulated by the European Commission as unsuitable for the production of baby food products or direct feeding. Our study showed that health risks due to rice arsenic consumption are confined mainly to infants in the UK. We recommend that consumers could be better informed whether rice and rice products are suitable for infants and young children up to 5 years in the product description labels.
more than half the rice on the market has higher levels of Arsenic than you probably should feed kids.

I'm still searching for inorganic rice.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Colonel Sun wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:29 am
noddy wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:22 am https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... via%3Dihub
Conclusions

seeing as its a marketing buzzword for "naturally occurring", instead of the chemists definition of carbon based, we can correctly say that arsenic is fully organic.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

I've got you all beat. I only eat morgantic foods; so only foods of lesser status than me, for which they have no legal right or claim on my present or future health & bodily condition. :)

--------------

If I were doing the marketing, I would go for more "theoretically healthy" labeling. "Throw caution to the wind & try my product!" 'no one goes blind on 1st use!" :)
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:22 am more than half the rice on the market has higher levels of Arsenic than you probably should feed kids.
your kids or other people's kids?

arsenic is bad for you?

WHO says?
Last edited by Simple Minded on Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:58 am
If I were doing the marketing, I would go for more "theoretically healthy" labeling. "Throw caution to the wind & try my product!" 'no one goes blind on 1st use!" :)
How bout: "Save the planet! Reduce Green House Gases! Eat more Arsenic!"
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:34 am
Conclusions

seeing as its a marketing buzzword for "naturally occurring", instead of the chemists definition of carbon based, we can correctly say that arsenic is fully organic.
Given how much rice is consumed in Japan and other Asian nations, from infancy onwards, one has to wonder why the populations do not present with symptoms of arsenic poisoning. For the older generations in Japan rice has been the staple food, yet they are the group with the longest life expectancy on the planet. One possible explanation is that the trace amounts of arsenic present in rice is too low to have any effect over a lifetime of consumption.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Colonel Sun wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:05 pm
Conclusions

Given how much rich is consumed in Japan and other Asian nations, from infancy onwards, one has to wonder why the populations do not present with symptoms of arsenic poisoning. For the older generations in Japan rice has been the staple food, yet they are the group with the longest life expectancy on the planet. One possible explanation is that the trace amounts of arsenic present in rice is too low to have any effect over a lifetime of consumption.
Maybe the arsenic protects from infection.My understanding(from a long ago memory) is that people become immune from Arsenic if given gradually increased doses of it over time.

BTW I was unaware that in Japan the rich are consumed. I guess that is one way to deal with income inequality. :P .
noddy

Post by noddy »

It could be as simple as most of the rice growing regions in Japan dont have lots of arsenic in the soil, or the main cultivars used over there arent the varieties with the issue.

the wiki link suggests Japan isnt one of the regions with high levels of natural arsenic.

It seems American rice should be avoided!

personally, I only eat Basmati regularly, so maybe I should avoid Bangladeshi.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:45 pm
Colonel Sun wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:05 pm
Conclusions

Given how much rich is consumed in Japan and other Asian nations, from infancy onwards, one has to wonder why the populations do not present with symptoms of arsenic poisoning. For the older generations in Japan rice has been the staple food, yet they are the group with the longest life expectancy on the planet. One possible explanation is that the trace amounts of arsenic present in rice is too low to have any effect over a lifetime of consumption.
. . .

BTW I was unaware that in Japan the rich are consumed. I guess that is one way to deal with income inequality. :P .
:lol:

Yes, Japan has secretly taken the Rousseauian slogan "Eat the Rich" literally.
It's one way of maintaining a harmonious egalitarian society.